All teachers need to attend an orientation session before submitting their class to TSLA. You only need to attend orientation once - if you'd like to teach in future semesters, you won't need to attend again. Below you'll find more information about being a TSLA teacher. We run Teacher Orientations throughout the year. If we are currently offering any, you will find a sign up on the home page.
What's involved in teaching a Trade School LA class?
1. Attend a short (fun!) orientation where you'll meet other teachers, learn more about how TSLA works and the role our teachers play, plus share & receive teaching tips on how to create the best possible class.
2. Plan your class and write your class description & short bio for our site
3. Give us a list of at least 5 barter items that you want to receive from your students. (Not sure what to ask for? Check out this list of items previously requested by other teachers.)
4. Help us promote your class by telling your friends / sharing your class via social media
5. Email your students 5 days before class to introduce yourself & share any last-minute info they'll need
6. On the day of class, meet your students, receive your barter goods and teach a great class!
Classes meet one time, and typically last 1-4 hours (as determined by you, the teacher). Our classe are held in a variety of spaces, from art collectives to bookstores and beyond. We'll coordinate a location for your class based on your needs and your schedule. Once your class details are confirmed, we'll publish your class on the website and open up student registration. Your students will sign up on the homepage, and will commit to fulfill one of your barter requests by doing so.
Ready to teach? Sign up for an orientation when they open or contact us with questions.